Monday, August 9, 2010

Puppet Fail

So, I was all planned and pumped on posting today pictures of my new puppet that I've been working on for weeks now. It is the actual working puppet of the model from my Pop Quiz post. Unfortunately, the puppet cracked in two at the waist as I was trying to get it to stand. Looks like the
wires just been twisted and jostled around too much. Also, his head was a little too heavy.


Now I'm back to square one, and am a little unsure of how to go about making a workable puppet cheaply. I can't seem to find any non drying lightweight clay, and can't think of any other material that would be better for the head and hands. If anyone has suggestions, PLEASE let me know!

6 comments:

  1. I asked someone and they said, "latex?"
    I have little to no idea anything besides how to spell "latex"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, latex is the best thing to use... but it's extremely difficult and expensive to use. SADD FACCEEE

    ReplyDelete
  3. emily!!! the best thing to do is make the puppet body out of wire and foam, and cover it with fabric and stuff and then make the head out of sculpey. in terms of hands....there's a few neat ways to go about that! i'll help youuuuuu

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IS what I did though. It's wire and foam. head is sculpey. but if you want to help, PLEASE, give me suggestions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i guess the best thing to do is move them as little as possible even at the stronger points of the body. the wire gets hot, builds friction and breaks.jeremy (coraline man) advised me not to move the puppet AT ALL until i'm ready for photography, even with the steel ball and joint armatures. also, are you using 1/16 wire or 1/8? i guess depending on the size of the puppet, you wanna use the reasonable gage wire, but i hiiiiiiiiighly recommend 1/8 for the spine/arms and legs of the dude and 1/16 or smaller for the hands and any smaller extremities.

    i'm actually waiting for some hands to dry as i write this. i'll teach you how to make awesome tiny hands!!!! it's really tedious, but what in stop motion isnt?

    ReplyDelete
  6. also. super sculpey light is literally lighter than marshmallows! and it doesn't dry but it has a weird consistency

    ReplyDelete